Please Note: This Page Is In Progress
This means, among other things, that:
- Some of the content is not fleshed out, so you should not read more into things than exactly what is there.
- Some sections might have things marked as “TODOs” (e.g., questions or things that must be done). These TODOs should not be taken to be representative of truth in any respect, and indicate areas that need more research and thought. If you have particular knowledge in things related to these, you can help! (Please see: contribution guidelines).
- There probably will not be any section that pulls everything together in an easily understandable way.
This does not mean that:
- I am not firmly convinced of the veracity of all the content currently published. If I am not sure of something, I don’t push it to the website. (This doesn’t mean that I won’t ever change my positions if I come to learn that I am in error, but that I strive, as much as possible, to only push content to the website if I am absolutely certain that it is true).
- This page cannot be helpful to you in its present form. If you are aware of the limitations of the current state, you may find this page helpful long before I officially publish it.
- 4k resolution
- At least a 60 Hz refresh rate
- Capable of of 4:4:4 chroma
- 40+ inches
- Ability to sleep without messing with windows
- Low input lag
- Curved (to better fill field of vision at close distances)
- Smart TV functionality/has remote
- Modes dependent upon activity (e.g., TV, gaming, etc.). Be able to customize modes.
4k vs Multiple HD Monitors
- Having one large 4k monitor lets you use the monitor as a TV
- It also avoids unecessary bezels in normal computing tasks
- Assuming you have a good tiling window manager, the ease of laying out windows should not be significantly different between the two configurations
Size and Resolution
Increased screen size without matching increases in resolution has diminishing returns. While a bigger screen will make reading easier, it also means more required travel for your eyes: your eyes have to move a greater distance to read an equivalent amount of text.
- For this reason it is probably best to keep 1080p monitors at or under ~27”
The increased readability enables you to put two windows side by side, which can increase work efficiency significantly.
- Black saves power with OLED displays: only turn on pixels that are actually being used
- Greatest distinguishability between black background and lighter color foreground windows. (foreground windows will be lighter because light backgrounds make text more legible)
- Worth tradeoff of having picture to remind you of something (e.g., wife, quote, etc.)?
comments powered by Disqus